Monday, 5 December 2011

Glorious gems and other earth treasures ~

Sodalite
Planet Earth contains an astonishing and very beautiful range of gems, minerals and other treasures.  In this chronicle I look at a selection I'm familiar with and briefly describe their physical characteristics and, where possible, the geological context in which they were formed.  As I've learnt more about them I've enjoyed and appreciated them more, so am happy to share that.

Mussel shell - note tiny crab
I've been picking up stones ever since I was a little girl, mostly specimens of unremarkable grey shingle but carefully picked out all the same.  I have no recollection of this but my mother tells me this was a pre-occupation on my walks, so there it is!   

When older I took up the interest once more.  I still look for interesting stones on my walks, and when wandering along beaches I also look for shells.  However, most pieces included here have first been found by others, some locally, others far away.  They have been gathered and dispersed by these collectors long before I set eyes on them, so I'm grateful for their interest which has made it possible for me to indulge my own!

Amethyst with citrine inclusions

This Chronicle is designed to be read from the top down throughout its entirety, although each entry can be read by itself without reference to others.

Amber

No comments: