Saturday, 3 September 2011

Ammonites ~ fossilised remains

Ammonites were sea creatures with spiral shells which became extinct 65 million years ago at the same time as the dinosaurs, so the pieces shown here include remains from at least that long ago.  Think of a million years (which I find impossible!) then multiply it by 65 - that's a very long time indeed!  I find it amazing to be able to hold anything of this antiquity in my hand.  And these were once little live creatures!  

The two pictured above are very small - less than an inch across, whereas the one shown below is about three inches across.


It doesn't make sense to me that I can buy this sort of thing for just a few dollars as if they were some kind of cheap mass-produced item of no particular consequence - my mind just doesn't know how to deal with it.

No comments: